Tuesday, October 30, 2012

The Next Big Thing Meme

Robin Hall of Robin Writes tagged me for The Next Big Thing and I'm just so excited absolutely thrilled to participate. Fun, fun, fun.
 

What is the working title of your book? DEVASTATION

Where did the idea come from for the book? During the summer of 2010, Alex, my then 15 y/o daughter, and I took a road trip. I drummed on the steering wheel to Pour Some Sugar on Me, embarrassing her (just one more service I provide),  and she doodled away in her sketchbook. One of her amazing creations was a girl angel wearing a determined expression and battle gear, including breast plate and weapons, the whole nine yards.

The image of that angel with her wings, armor and sword wouldn't leave me alone. It badgered me, tap-tapping on my shoulder until I paid it some attention. I wondered what life would be like for her if she were a regular girl who woke up one morning with wings. (BTW, DEVASTATION isn't about angels) I talked it over with Alex and we thought it'd make a great book. I started DEVASTATION the next day.

What genre does your book fall under? I've grappled with that one quite a lot actually. However, after many consultations (stalking #askagent on Twitter and other such activities), I've decided it's best described as YA Romantic (Soft) Sci-Fi.
 
The problem was the science in my 'sci-fi 'is almost non-existent. But, everyone keeps saying 'if your book has aliens then it's science fiction.' Someone suggested I check Wikipedia (yeah, I know) to see what sub-genres Sci-Fi encompassed. I found 'Soft Sci-Fi' and it's the closest I've come to really capturing the feel of my novel.
 
Which actors would you choose to play your characters in the movie rendition? Oh, what a fun question! OK, I admit, I have thought about it - a lot. More than I should, considering I don't even have an agent yet, much less a book deal with a publisher... But, if you're gonna dream big...
(You know, I think this is my favorite question to answer -gives me a reason to go look at all those fabulous guys.)

I so wish Zac Efron was still in his late teens or early twenties, because he'd be PERFECT for Gabe... icy blue eyes, dark hair. He's an absolute YUMster. But, since he's now a little older... bummer... I'm not sure who would be best for the part, maybe someone similar to Robbie Amell or Matt Lanter. Whoever plays Gabe's role needs to be nuclear hot and built (I mean really built).

For Lexa... hmmm.... Emma Stone or someone with those clear eyes (which would be perfect if they were sage green - but there's always contacts). She needs to be beautiful, sassy, but still  have that sweet side.

And then there's Nathaniel...  I'd say whoever takes on Nathaniel's character has to fall somewhere between Grey Damon and Jeremy Sumpter type looks. Blond is important (but there's always hair dye), the golden eyes can be taken care of with contacts. But the smokin' hot body (like call-the-fire-department-smokin'-hot) and attitude will have to be all natural.
 
FYI: My talented daughter, Alex, drew these depictions of Gabe, Lexa, and Nathaniel.

What is a one sentence synopsis of your book? Oh, man! This is probably the hardest question.
Hmm...

At sixteen, Lexa, who’s terrified of heights, learns she’s half alien, sprouts giant-ass wings, and is abducted by genocidal aliens; she'll have to overcome her phobia and fly to freedom or end up light years from home.

Okay, I know... I cheated... but really? One sentence? It's a 95k word novel for Pete's sake!

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency? I really want an agent. Nothing wrong with self-pubbing, but I like the idea of an agent and all they bring to the party,  experience, foreign rights, contract negotiations, all that jazz.

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript? All in all, I'd say I worked a total of about nine months on the first draft.

May we see the intro? Sure! I'd love it if you wanted to read some of DEVASTATION. You can read the first chapter here on this blog. If you'd like to read more, check out the first several chapters on Authonomy.com.

What other book(s) would you compare it to within your genre? Now that's a toughie. I've struggled with this almost as much as I did the genre question. I've been told it's similar to James Patterson's Angel Experiment books, although I admit, I've not read them. I started to read the first one and got sidetracked after the first few pages and never made it back (not sure what that says).

I've said, if I could throw in some song references along with movies, then DEVASTATION is Katy Perry's E.T. melded with Van Halen's Love Walks In, woven through the book I AM NUMBER FOUR blended with a handful of the movie ALIEN and a tiny bit of SOME KIND OF WONDERFUL(movie).

Who or What inspired you to write this book? As I said in an earlier question, my daughter's drawing inspired me.

What else about this book might pique your readers interest? DEVASTATION'S characters are human-alien hybrids with feathered wings; unique characters. As for interest, everyone deals with self-doubt, wanting what we think we can’t have, and handling life’s curve balls. Add to that love, danger, and loss. DEVASTATION has been read by readers ranging in age from their teens through retirement age - the retiree is a sixty-seven-year-old gentleman and he loved it - who knew? (the teens loved it too :))

So that's my NEXT BIG THING MEME entry. Now I'm gonna tag... hmmmm.... let's see.... :
Fiona McLaren
Jessica Salyer 
Kelley Lynn
Lizzy Froehle

Your turn ladies.

 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Your daughter is so flippin' talented!

    And no worries on the agent. You'll get there for sure! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you, Kelley! I know she'll be so glad to hear that.
      And thanks for the encouragement, you're so sweet. :)

      Delete

Thanks for visiting and commenting! I hope you've enjoyed the blog.